Omar

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Gloomy Outlook!

When I made my way from the Oval grounds Belfast last Friday night, I admit I was downcast. I had just witnessed a gutless performance from the Sky Blues and I admit I was shell-shocked, to say the least. There was no cohesion shown from United's team on this occasion and they were decidedly  lucky that Glens supremo, Eddie Patterson, decided to rest at least half of his team. We were appalling in the extreme and nobody, but nobody, held up their hands and said I was guilty. Tony Kane, who has been getting rave notices, while playing in midfield, had a stinker and I feel sure he will want to banish it from his memory.

JT, a former Glens player was even worse and that's saying something, but you know what they saw, 'form s temporary but class is permanent', let's hope I got that one right. Cookie, his central defensive partner, was withdrawn with about a third of the game still to go and in my opinion it was too little too late. Their ill advised offside traps failed miserably in the first half and it was a miracle we didn't leak more goals. As it was we had Shan to thank  for that turn of events, for he kept us in the match, even though we seemed to be trying  to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Needless to say a marked improvement needs to be witnessed this incoming weekend, away to the hatchet-men, who are still smarting from the caning handed out to them in the County Antrim Shield final, losing on penalties yet again. United, have long suffered defeat at the hands of the Crues, especially at Seaview. They do have the chance have the chance on Saturday, to make it three wins out of three, in league games involving the two of them this season, so you see it's not all gloom and doom. If in the process, United, gave themselves a shot at a sixth place, all well and good. But we'll need to be up for this game, otherwise our season as far as the league goes, is dead!