Omar

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lethargic Supporters!

The papers have been raving in the last couple of days about the 'young' team that Arsenal sent out for Carling cup duty on Tuesday night. Don't get me wrong I'm all for giving youth a chance, but surely it's taking a big chance when a manager puts out untried youngsters against a major team, if it works he's a hero, if not he's a villain. I wonder how the Arsenal fans felt, did they feel cheated at having to watch youngsters play instead of the usual stars, or were they quite happy just to watch their team, no matter who was wearing the jersey. The latter I believe is the answer and this isn't just true of Arsenal fans, it's true of fans the world over. I myself come into this category, my wife just laughs when I say I've seen enough and won't be going to the next game when we're on a bad run, she knows I'll be there for the next game, no matter who we're playing or who's playing for us. That's why I was astounded when I turned up at the Oval a week past on Tuesday to find the small handful of United fans in attendance. One of United's top men even admitted on Monday night that he hadn't attended either, a 'damming' indictment on his loyalty. Then I picked up my copy of the Ballymena Times on Tuesday to find that there was no report on the Glens game in the paper, not even a reference to it, for gods sake even Wakehurst got a headline for losing to Dundela, but we the Premier team in the Town didn't even warrant a mention for our valiant effort against the Glens. I just wonder if United fans have resigned themselves to the inevitable belief that the team's in a hopeless position and what's the point of attending games where on paper we have little chance. Lethargy is the enemy of ambition, without ambition we are nothing, so let's get our act together and get back to supporting our team, they're tried their eyestrings out, can we do any less!