Omar

Friday, September 23, 2005

Omar's moving finger writes....

Here we are barely five weeks into the new season and nothing’s changed has it? The old problems are still there. Players playing for clubs, when they’ve already played in the same competition for another club. Now a manager stands accused of ‘jostling’ a referee, but from what I saw on TV tonight it seemed like minimal conduct was made. Having watched some of the totally ‘inconsistent’ decisions made in games already this season, I must say I have a wee bit of sympathy with any manager who berates a referee. But I must draw the line at violence towards the officials, once we go down that road we have lost the plot, big time. When I heard on Monday that Roy ‘Motormouth’ McCreadie had parted company with Newry, I was somewhat surprised and immediately began to ‘speculate’ as to the reason behind his mutual resignation. Was it his impending court case, where popular opinion is that he’ll get a custodial sentence. Then when I heard that a manager had ‘jostled’ a referee, I immediately thought it was Roy. But I have to admit that Roy is too crafty to fight with officials, opposing players or managers, now that’s a totally different matter. No we may never know why Roy and Newry parted company, but one thing we do know is that there was probably some controversial reason behind it. With our limited knowledge of Roy and his underhand methods, it’s obvious there’s some dirt somewhere. But Roy after all is a product of the Irish league and where did he learn his methods? I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you that it was in the Irish league of course. As the old saying goes, ‘there’s a bad apple in every barrel’, but our wee league has more than one bad apple and it’s high time we rooted them out!